Thursday, December 10, 2009

Now This is Just Crazy!

Note: this story doesn't exactly relate to SDA course concepts, but it's so ridiculous that I just wanted to share it anyway. Enjoy!

Awhile back, I had heard about Richard Branson's crazy idea of creating an airline that would fly people to and from space - but I never expected it to become a reality...

Sure enough, he recently revealed the design of the planes that belong to Virgin Galactic, a division of Virgin Atlanta Airways. Check out the plane in the images below.


The price for a flight to space - a mere $200,000 per person. Now really, how many people does he really expect to pay $200K for a short 2.5 hours in space? I have a hard time believing the company can survive, but then again, he's proven many people wrong with some of his other crazy ideas. With how expensive it must be to develop and build the space planes, I imagine that he does have some data to support the business idea but still, I can't quite figure out what the strategy is of adding space flight to an already successful airline. With the flights beginning in 2011, I guess we'll have to wait until then to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment